Standards, Achievement, License

Store boxes for Admin Guide

School Libraries Work!

High-quality, well-staffed school library programs impact student achievement.

Emergency License/Permit

School library information specialists are licensed teachers who have added the library media license to their teaching license. With shortages, administrators can request an emergency license/permit to hire a teacher if they complete a preparation program.

The 21st Century School Library Media Program


  • How are school library information specialists licensed? School library information specialists (SLIS) are licensed teachers who also hold additional certification in school library media services. To qualify, an applicant must hold or be eligible for a teaching license in an area other than school library media services, complete an approved program for the initial library media specialist, and obtain the institutional endorsement, as described in PI 34.33.
  • Can a licensed teacher work as a school library information specialist without having completed the additional certification? Yes, DPI Licensing will grant a licensed teacher a one-year emergency license to work as a school library information specialist. The request must be made by the school district administrator who must provide evidence that a certified candidate was not available for the position. The person holding the emergency license must enroll in a certified school library education program in order to have the emergency license renewed. A complete explanation of emergency licensure can be found at
  • Where can an individual receive training to become a school library information specialist? There are many educational options, in-state and online, for those interested in becoming school library information specialists. Wisconsin-based programs and contacts are listed at Wisconsin Library Preparation Programs
  • Must all school districts employ a school library information specialist? Yes, according to Wis. Statute 121.02(1)(h), commonly referred to as “Standard h,” and to be in compliance with Standard h, all school district students in grades 7-12 must receive services from a certified library media specialist; students in grades K-6 must either receive services from a certified library media specialist or, at minimum, from someone under the direction of a certified library media specialist. Refer to for complete information, or contact the DPI School Library Media Consultant at or 608-224-5383.
  • Can a library aide provide services to students?  Library aides may not provide any instructional services to students, but a library aide can provide basic services, such as circulation, location, technology, or basic reference assistance.


Licensure in Wisconsin

Library Media Specialist License (902)

The Department of Public Instruction delegates preparation for licensure to institutions around the state. It authorizes, reviews, evaluates and approves each program for earning the license. Each varies slightly. For state programs in school librarianship, see Wisconsin Library Preparation Programs.

The UWSSLEC offers a consistent program across each of the participating institutions that is designed specifically for working teachers who seek the license.