Biographies are histories of a person's life or parts of his/her life. They can introduce students to a whole new
historical figures and different eras. Studying them can also
inspire students as they read about people who overcame problems, faced
obstacles and criticism, but persevered to succeed.
A biography that is written by a person about his/her own life is called an autobiography. These are located in the nonfiction area.
Types of Biography:
- Follows the same role as scholarly works written for adults
- Well-documented, carefully researched account of a person's life
- Contains actual statements from the subject when dialogue is used
- Must be true in every detail
- Fictionalizes certain events and tries to personalize the subject more
- Includes invented dialogue and unspoken thoughts from the subject
- These dialogue and thoughts are based on facts in journals, diaries, or other period sources on the subject
- Must be true to factual record and its inventions must be believable to the times